Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Been Through Hail(storms)


Hello dear ones!
 
I have had quite the week down here in Tennessee! The first of the week started out normally with the usual lessons and visits. I had my first zone conference on Thursday. The chapel was full of missionaries from just two zones. It still boggles my mind at the sheer number of missionaries and we haven't even come close to hitting our peak yet! Anywho, zone conference was super inspiring (big surprise), but I'm not the biggest fan of doing role plays in front of President. Such is (mission) life.
 
Later that night we went to a young couple's home we had tracted a couple of weeks ago. This was the first time we were actually able to have a sit down lesson with them. Sis. Pearson and I threw the first lesson at them, extended that good ole baptismal commitment, and.....they said yes! Woohoo! Two more baptismal dates coming Tullahoma's way. The girl is actually pregnant so I'm tempted to count it as three. The other baptismal date we had earlier in this transfer is still in the works. She hasn't come to church yet because of health issues and she just cannot give up the cigs. Hence the health issues. But we are determined to see her in white.
 
And then we had this fantastic weekend in Winchester, TN. Winchester use to be a part of the Tullahoma ward, but just recently proved the world wrong and became its own little branch (the one that meets in the funeral home). Their booth at a festival there called on all of the missionaries in the district. We were in charge of having people fill out a survey that asked four simple questions talking about the restoration, Book of Mormon, strengthening families, and if missionaries could come over to discuss whatever interested them. Each of those surveys were a referral meaning we will be going crazy this week finding people. Awesome.
 
Yesterday was the last day of the festival. We decided to stick around and help other venders clean up shop. Sis. Pearson and I went to a vender we had talked to earlier. They sold Western wear and Vince, the husband, liked to tease those Mormon missionaries. We soon rounded up the other missionaries to help Vince and his wife when a light rain started. And then two minutes later, hail came. Hail as in Mother Nature's way of playing paint ball. The ground was absolutely covered in white and then enters the Primary song, "The [hail] came down and the floods came up." So, so crazy. This was intense even for Tennessee.
 
Can I just say I love missionary experiences.
 
This week I get to look forward to meetings all over the place. First one, I was invited to the Zone Leader's Conference (which I am still questioning why I am going), second one is a zone meeting in Northcutt Chapel (the oldest chapel in the nation or something like that), and third one is a Trainer/Training meeting (I'm not sure where they will send me because technically I'm still in training). I guess the point I'm trying to get at is that I will not have a "normal" missionary experience. As President would say, "We comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable."
 
Another quick story. They had stake conference this weekend, which would be broadcasted from SLC. Apparently SLC sent the stake the wrong time. Result: a 30 minute stake conference. Needless to say, many of the members commented that this was the best stake conference ever. However, the 30 minutes of President Utchdorf were fantastic. He seemed to be talking up missionary work (or is that just because I'm in that stage of life?). I loved his comment for individuals and families to study Chapter 3 in Preach My Gospel.
 
WILL YOU read the first lesson (The Message of the Restoration) of Chap 3? As you do so, pay attention to what the Spirit is teaching you as you read. Think of questions such as:
What does the message of the restoration mean to me?
Where would I be without the restoration?
Why does it matter?
 
And then bear your testimony.
 
Joseph Smith said, "After all that has been said, the greatest and most important duty is to preach the Gospel."
 
Take a moment and think about those words coming from that man.
 
Is it too much to ask us to share our knowledge of this wonderful message?
 
I love you all so much!
Love Sister Neener (:

No comments:

Post a Comment