Monday, April 1, 2013

Tennessee Easter


I had the most wonderful Easter weekend there ever was to be had! Barbara and Christy, her daughter, were baptized and confirmed as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. My favorite part was to hear them bear their testimonies and realize how the Spirit worked with them in their conversion. As awesome as Sis. Tenny is and as diligently as I am working, we did absolutely nothing, but to extend the invitation and act as mouthpieces for the Spirit. I cannot stop smiling over what an incredible experience this was. I am discovering the joy that comes when you are able to help others strengthen their relationship with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.
 
Easter was just grand. The members took good care of us and our apartment is littered with sugary goodness (no complaints here). My mind often wanders back to my trip to Israel whenever Easter rolls around. I remember when our group was sitting in the Garden of Gethsemane for some personal quiet time. I remember seeing a few widows crying and thinking how much the Atonement means to them in their trial of loneliness. I am incredibly grateful for this opportunity to be on a mission because it has taught me to use the Atonement more than anything else in my life. I KNOW that Jesus Christ lives for us and loves us. I KNOW that through Him I can repent and do anything that is asked of me. How grateful I am for my knowledge of and relationship with Him.
 
I had a neat experience this week with a couple named Lisa and David. We first met Lisa a couple of weeks ago whom we nicknamed "God Sponge." To our sorrow, we were never able to get a hold of her again until the other day when she was sitting outside with David. David is not religious at all and was cold to us at the beginning. We soon uncovered his passion, music, and it took off from there. Both Sis. Tenny and I love music so it was the perfect connection. Earlier that morning, in my personal study, I read how gifts have 3 characteristics: 1. They are from God; 2. They are for the benefit of mankind; 3. They are prepared for a purpose. That day I recognized just how Heavenly Father planned me to use one of my gifts.
 
Because I have been trained in missionary ways, my challenge are now commitments. Will you commitment to sharing or improving your talents this week?
 
Life in Tennessee is going great. Advice for anyone soon to be serving: get use to using public toilets including ones that have flies hovering over them. Also learn to love both dogs and cats and getting their hair all over your clothing.
 
I love getting to know the ward members here! One brother told us about a chicken gun they invented to test out windshields. One sister told us how she goes to random funerals to get free food. And another sister is trying to give us a referral through illegal means. Oh the joys of missionary work!
 
Have a fantastic week and this email is 100% true with no April Fools. (:
 
Sending some deep fried love to all,
Sister Neener (:

No comments:

Post a Comment