Monday, March 25, 2013

Born on the Mountaintop of Tennessee...


Hey Y'all!
 
Things in Tennessee as a missionary are just swell. Some of the phrases I've noticed a lot are:
-Bless their heart
-I was fixin' to...
-I don't mean to be ugly, but....
 
I'm still trying to learn the lingo, but it should come right? Don't most missionaries receive the gift of tongues?
 
The missionary work is progressing here, slowly, but surely. We will have our first baptism this Saturday in which we are extremely ecstatic. The Turners are so prepared. They don't even realize how ready they are and how many lives will be blessed because of their choice. It is such a blessing to be a part of it. When we are not with them, Sister Tenny and I are meeting with more less actives (if we can get a hold of them) and finding more people. We are teaching a few other people so we will see where we go with them.
 
I was asked to talk yesterday in sacrament meeting. They released the RS presidency (she had been in there for over 5 years) and called a new one so they also spoke. Needless to say, I only had 5 minutes so I cut out about a sixth of my talk. Missionary work is all about improvising. The members here are great. Yesterday we ate with a family who eats waffles every Sunday. The waffles we have sampled so far are: pomegranate, mandarin, banana, framed egg, sausage & egg, and rueben. Who knew? I was also introduced to some new iPad technology. You buy this foot pedal and somehow it connect to your iPad so that when you are playing the piano, you can turn the sheet music located on the iPad with your foot!! Isn't that genius?! And finally we have a lady in our ward who used to be a Pentecostal preacher. She calls herself a Pentecostal Mormon which I'm still trying to work out...
 
One thing that is hard about working with memmbers is that they are set in their ways. Many times we have been told, "Oh good luck," or "You won't have any success there," "You can try, but...," etc. No, no, no! This is the Lord's work and who are we to say if people will accept it or reject it? If there is one thing I've learned about while out here is how the church works. I want to be a 100% visiting teacher and not just in action, but in heart. I want to magnify my church calling. I want to fulfill my duty as a member missionary. I want to give ALL of my heart, might, mind, and strength to the Lord my entire life and not just while I'm set apart as a missionary.
 
In honor of Easter, my challenge this week is for you to go onto lds.org and find a Mormon Message or Bible video about the Savior, watch it, and then share it with your family and through social media.
 
Lots and lots of love,
 
Sister Neener (:

No comments:

Post a Comment